Mission and Advocacy
Celebrations and Opportunities
- Room in the Inn: This summer we continued our Room in the Inn partnership with Austin Street Center (June, July and August). It was a wonderful time of building friendships with women experiencing homelessness. Thanks to all who were involved and made it a special evening. We will continue this ministry beginning again in December, however there are plenty of opportunities to be involved between now and then.
- Food on the Move: Over the summer months we had over 100 volunteers engaged with Food on the Move at the Verandas. We held two enrichment camps (Science and Reading Camp) that were both well attended by the children. We gave away over 500 Weekend Food bags to families throughout the summer who were extremely grateful for the extra support. I heard many reports from the children that all they had at home was peanut butter or that they loved the bags because they had milk- Friday’s were always a hit. We also gave away 95 backpacks filled with school supplies.
- Our work during the summer has lead us to consider a school partnership with Jill Stone Elementary located right across the street and where many of the kids attend. If you’re interested in getting involved, contact Heather Mustain.
- Hurricane Harvey relief: Please visit our recent post here to discover ways you can help. More than likely we will be coordinating a team to help with recovery efforts when the timing is appropriate. All Hurricane efforts are being coordinated by Timothy Peoples; please contact him if you are interested.
- Fifth Saturday Service Day, September 30th: The project is still being determined, but mark you calendars and contact Heather if you’re interested.
A Look Ahead
- Missions Affinity Luncheon, October 22nd: October's missions affinity luncheon will be for those who are currently or interested in serving on a non-profit board or providing strategic leadership. This was identified as one of the largest ways Wilshire is serving our community and world so please consider joining to learn about where others are serving and to connect with those who have a similar passion for service.
- Holiday Giving during the months of November and December
- Turkey Baskets with the Wilkinson Center- if you’re class is interested in doing this again, please email Heather and let her know how many you could commit to.
- Canned Food Collection with White Rock Center of Hope
- Christmas Giving Tree benefitting all local mission partners
- Kenya Team with Sodzo International: A group of 11 from Wilshire will be traveling to Maua, Kenya Sept. 1-10. Look for a prayer guide outside of the sanctuary or in your SS box.
- Sierra Leone: Sierra Leone was recently devastated by a mudslide, killing many. Please keep first responders and all those mourning in your prayers. The missions committee has sent a $1,000 gift to help with emergency relief.
- Hurricane Harvey: Pray for the many whom will lose their homes and face a long road to recovery.
Please don’t hesitate to email or call for more information.
For all opportunities, contact Minister of Missions Heather Mustain at (214) 452-3110 .