Mission and Advocacy
Celebrations and Opportunities
Summer Volunteer Opportunities: Mark Your Calendar!
Summer Volunteer Opportunities
- Room in the Inn: July 21 and August 18: We welcome our sisters back from Austin Street during the hottest months of the year. Volunteers are needed to help set-up and clean-up, fellowship on Friday evening or provide transportation.
- STORY: Last month one of our guests, Debra, informed me that she would moving from homelessness into permanent housing. When I asked if she had any furniture, she told me no, but was just grateful to have a place to call home. Tomorrow a group of volunteers from Wilshire will supply all the furniture and kitchen items she needs to get started in her new home!
- Food on the Move: We have had volunteers at the site for the last five weeks. If you’re interested in serving, we are still looking for help with Reading Camp at the end of the month.
- July 24-28: Reading Camp: additional volunteers are needed to assist children through daily instruction and activities.
- Every Friday we have delivered on average 70 Weekend Food Bags to children experiencing food insecurity.
- Back to School Supply Drive: We have been collecting school supplies for families and children served at the Verandas @ Midtown with Food on the Move. Drop donations by in the green boxes throughout the church.
- Fifth Saturday Service Day, July 29th: There are 2 slots left to help with the Wilkinson Center’s annual shoe drive (16+). Sign up here.
Mission Teams 2017
Kenya: Wilshire will join friends at Woodland Baptist Church (San Antonio) and South Main Baptist Church (Houston) in an exploratory, vision trip hosted by Sodzo International, September 2-10, 2017. Sodzo International operates a rescue center in Meru County, Kenya, for children recently rescued from street life. Estimated costs of the trip will be around $2,000, which includes round-trip airfare to Nairobi and a day of safari. Some financial assistance may be available.
Cooperative Baptist Fellowship: Please continue to pray for over 100 field personnel, who continue to work hard and give much more than they receive. Click here to download a guide that will direct your prayers each week.
For all opportunities, contact Minister of Missions Heather Mustain at (214) 452-3110 .