Summer Missions Opportunities
Childhood hunger and quality education are two of Wilshire’s primary advocacy initiatives. We know that in order for long-lasting change to occur we need to address the systems and policies that do not advance the common good. We also believe that while we do that work, we need to continue to serve those who are in dire need in our community. Below you will find ways in which we are encouraging our members of all ages to be involved in our efforts this summer to address childhood hunger, summer learning loss and homelessness.
Food on the Move: Food on the Move is a partnership between missions partner CitySquare and the USDA to make sure children who normally receive free lunch during the school year still receive breakfast and lunch during summer break. Over 125,000 children in our backyard are at risk of going hungry this summer without programs like Food on the Move. For the last 5 years we have adopted the Veranda at Midtown Apartments and have provided daily stimulating activity for the kids, free camps, Weekend Food Bags and backpacks with school supplies. There are a variety of ways in which you, your kids and your Sunday School class could be a part!
- Donate new school supplies or healthy, non-perishable snacks from this supply list.
- Spend your lunch break or 40 minutes of your day reading or playing games with the kids.
- Help us lead or run two weekly camps. Typically, these camps last for an 1.5 hrs in the morning. Email Heather Mustain to be a part: June 18-23 - Science Camp; July 23-27 - Reading Camp
- Pack Weekend Food Bags on Wednesdays. Times and dates can be found on our church calendar.
- Pick up and deliver Weekend Food Bags on Fridays.
Sign up to assist with Food on the Move Summer Feeding Program (sign up for any of these above)
Room in the Inn: Room in the Inn is a ministry to women experiencing homelessness. As shelters fill during the warmest and coldest months of the year, congregations have been asked to fill in the gap so that no-one goes unsheltered. Ten women will join us for an evening of fellowship and rest. This summer we welcome our sisters back from Austin Street who lovingly refer to Wilshire as their “retreat center". Volunteers of all ages are needed to provide dinner, breakfast, help set-up and clean-up, fellowship on Friday evening, stay the evening or provide transportation. This is a great opportunity for families and Sunday School classes to serve together. Please contact Room in the Inn ministry team leader Chad Mustain for more information or sign up below.
- Interfaith Ramadan Dinner, June 7: Share in an Iftar meal, the daily breaking of fast during Ramadan, with our friends from the Dialogue Institute. Space is limited, register here.
- Wilkinson Center: Volunteers (16+) are needed to help with the Wilkinson Center’s annual shoe drive Saturday, July 28-Monday, July 30. Sign up here.
- Prison Entrepreneurship Program: Join others in prison throughout the summer. Register here.
- Friday, June 29: EXCELLENCE IN ETIQUETTE: Executive Volunteers and participants enjoy a seated meal together, and test their knowledge of the rules of personal and professional etiquette in a “Jeopardy” style game.
- Saturday, July 7: BUSINESS PLAN WORKSHOP: Executive Volunteers meet 1 on 1 with multiple participants to discuss in detail all the elements of their business plans.
- Friday, August 3 PITCH DAY: Executive Volunteers are grouped in panels of 6 to hear and give feedback on participants’ nearly competition-ready pitches.
Pray for Wilshire’s Upcoming Mission Teams
This year alone we will have 90 Wilshire members participate in one of our short-term mission teams!
- Faith and Public Life Immersion Trip: Six of us will join Friendship West Baptist Church to participate in their Faith and Public Life Immersion trip to Alabama (July 26-29) as a part of our New Baptist Covenant. The group will travel by bus to Alabama and then more specifically from "Montgomery to Birmingham to learn, grow and embrace the rich legacy of struggles, strides and success."
- New York City: Seventeen of us will lead a week of CLUE camp (Aug 4-11) for children through Rauschenbusch’s Metro Ministries.
- Musoma, Tanzania: Eleven of us will travel to Tanzania with AICT (Sept 6-16), our newest global missions partner and this year’s World Hunger Offering recipient, to witness and bless the construction of the girls dormitory.
I hope you will find a way to be a part of one of these opportunities as we, together, build a different kind of tomorrow!
Rev. Heather Mustain, LMSW
Minister of Missions and Advocacy, Wilshire Baptist Church
firstname.lastname@example.org (214) 452-3110